Sunday, August 18, 2013

The Famous Naked Babies of Dresden

Facing the morning is hard, but when I know I have a hard schedule to stick to with little flexibility (read: train to Dresden), there’s no time for dillydallying. (That’s a ridiculous, but correct word choice). On the two-hour ride, we passed forests of skinny red trees and haystacks in small-town fields. In private six-seat cabins on board, we tried to think of as many Harry Potter references as possible before taking a group nap to classical music.

When I stepped off the train at Dresden, I saw a familiar face: my mom’s college friend Marlies and her son Alex. I remember Alex as a 7-year-old, so it was confusing to see him a foot taller than me, and overall, it was generally shocking to ‘run in to’ someone you know on a station platform in Dresden. My mom had mentioned they were traveling in Germany, but it’s a country with several millions of people so I thought the chances that I’d see them, much less be on their train to Dresden, was just about none. We snapped a quick pick and I had to run because the group was far off. Turned out our hotel was only two blocks away in a tower visible for miles, so I probably could’ve chatted for another minute and caught up to the group.

The Ibis Hotel seemed fine, but our rooms were not ready, so we locked up our luggage and went off to explore. Melanie and I had bonded over our love of churches and decided to set out for Dresden’s finest. Disclaimer: I really knew nothing about Dresden before arriving, other than a vague memory of some history class 2-second mention of a WWII bombing. The city, an architectural-style dream of cathedrals, plazas, museums and palaces, was a cultural mecca for hundreds of years, and then the war happened and everything got destroyed. One might expect to go on some walking tour and look at rubble and monuments, but none can be found. Instead, the city has been rebuilt, a copy of itself pre-war to the T. This makes it appear like Dulock, the town in Shrek. And since this weekend was the City Festival, 600,000 people filled the streets for concerts, games, sights, and plenty of drinking and eating. Think about all the German Kitsch plus Medieval Times and you basically have my first day in Dresden.

After eating our boxed lunches in the shade of the rebuilt Frauenkirche, Ben and Daneel encouraged me, Melanie and Ally to get up and explore. We found a block-long painting of princes, two more plazas filled with festival junk, and a courtyard with many iron-wrought animal heads on top of pillars. In the crowd, Daneel and I got separated from the other three, and phoneless as usual, had no choice but to brave the city without them. We walked through the cobblestone streets trying to decipher if anything at all was ‘original’ before arriving back at the Frauenkirche. Inside, we listened to some organ music and gazed at all the pretty things. Unfortunately, the organ player either couldn’t make up his mind about what to play or was teaching a lesson because the music kept starting and stopping in a terrible tease. Then, a man talked about Jeremiah’s teachings for a while, but in German. After that, Ben found us in the crowd cathedral and we were reunited, 5 Jews admiring Jesus-inspired art and architecture in the heart of Dresden. After a few more minutes of that, we headed back to the group for our next activity.

The Royal Art Collection is housed in an old palace that, like everything else, was destroyed and rebuilt. A nice person gave us a tour, I think a man, but that’s how little I remember it already. The gallery walls were covered in all sizes of paintings, many with more impressive frames than contents. The most famous is from the 1500s, a Raphael of Mary holding a terrified toddler Jesus, but the important part is these two cherubic naked angel babies looking totally bored at the bottom. You’d likely recognize them if you went through Learning-to-Look or some similar basic art awareness program. The guide was very knowledgeable on the collection and had a clear enthusiasm for all of the paintings and their preservation, pointing out sketch-marks and shading that had meaning beneath the top coat. I sort of wandered around, coming up with backstories for the scenes and lifestories for the portraits. I can’t explain the one of a nude lady snuggling with a goose, but if I ever return, I’ll have to ask an expert.


After the museum, I decided to wander the festival a bit more and look for a snack. A ska band played outside the opera house, with dozens of tiny stands with currywurst and vats of colorful wine blends. Stephanie and I got frozen yogurt before realizing there was an incredible garlic smell nearby. We were drawn in, and ended up with a garlic bread baguette with creamy cheese, tomatoes and chives on top. It was delicious. Back at the hotel, I had some time to shower and rest, and watch TV for the first time while here. The first English channel was CNBC, so I got caught up on Money Matters. It seems like everything is good back home. On my way down to meet the group, something very, very, very dramatic happened…

No comments:

Post a Comment