Wednesday, August 14, 2013

A bad Prezi, a good museum, and some hard questions, plus a shopping cart injury

The morning seems like a century ago. These days are insanely jam-packed, but the ebb and flow of activity causes many eyes to droop during certain sessions, as evidenced by the four people snoozing during our morning 90-minute history session. The lecture, given by our tour guide’s brother, followed a national past through a Prezi. I strongly dislike all prezis because they make me dizzy and nauseous, as do silly string and pudding fights. My mind constantly wandered and drifted because I couldn’t look at the screen without wanting to scream but I did enjoy recalling so many fun facts and figures from middle school history: Franz Josef, the King of Bavaria, pre-war borders and more!

After this struggle to listen to 800 years of struggle, we walked next door to an incredible 1800s reform synagogue built to seat 3500 people. While the Moorish façade was protected during Kristallnacht by a random police brigade who didn’t follow orders, the entire sanctuary was bombed out during the war. Only the entrance halls remain, and the remnants of stone, marble and stained glass are fragmented but impressive. I was confused by a displayed Torah that had notes in pencil in the margins, highly unusual for a scroll that was actually used. The guide, like every guide we’ve had so far, is not Jewish but just got interested and then went into the professional Jewish world.
During lunch next door (yes, all of these things are in a row – very convenient), I ran off to the hotel to grab a jacket – Berlin is freezing then sunny then raining then windy, so you can’t have a total wardrobe win. Good thing it was just around the corner, and I made it back to the restaurant when my pizza the size of the moon arrived. I talked with Shira, a Queens observant 25-year-old who had never really known Jews outside of her community – I worked hard to be a diplomat for pluralism and I think I got the message of acceptance and potential through. We really have great conversations all the time here that would be uncomfortable and taboo elsewhere – then again, everything is in relation to the Holocaust, so most stuff is less uncomfortable than that prevalent theme.

The group boarded the U-Bahn for Brandenburg Tor, which is the stop for Berlin’s Times Square. It’s got a huge arch gateway, people in bad Mickey Mouse costumes, the hotel where Michael Jackson dangled his baby, and pickpockets. None of these things got in the way of my enjoyment of the plaza – except then we crossed it and went to the Memorial to the Murdered Jews of Europe. This square block area is covered in stelae, mock blank gravestones of varying heights that you walk through in an anxiety-filled maze. You can always see out, but you can’t see who is around you and it makes you kind of crazy. Yet, children were laughing and jumping around, I was harassed by some guys to sign a petition (aka attempt to publicly mug me), and then saw a guy palm his lady’s behind. So, not the ideal memorial atmosphere. The underground Holocaust exhibit presents the most comprehensive timeline and testimony set I have visited in the most effective way. Quotes from letters and family histories frame the factual timeline at the entrance really well – I walked around wondering if people knew that those families are my families. I keep wondering about everyone else’s experience here while trying to formulate my own.

The formal schedule ended with a long panel featuring two speakers: an Israeli sociology PhD and a German former Parliamentarian. There was no introduction, no set of guiding questions, no framework – just two very different and qualified people there to answer ANY questions. At first, I was supertired and then decided I needed to get something out of this and make a push to engage myself. So, I went to the bathroom, splashed water on my face, got my head in the game, and asked  questions about the gaps and illusions created in Germany’s collective historical narrative, and what makes for the best shared national memory. And I wasn’t just spewing BS – something really had me curious to take advantage of the really interesting people I had open book in front of me. Particularly, I wanted to hear what the man who had spent 20 years in Parliament had to say, but the Israeli doctor of memory shared an interesting (paraphrased) quote from a past philosopher: “To look away from the past is to commit moral arson.”

Deep.


After that intellectual exercise, I went to a pharmacy where a lady rolled a full shopping cart over my toe. It hurts a lot. I also got my first friends photo by Museum Island and walked around Hackescher Markt before eating sushi for dinner at Wiedenstrasse. I would like to think I am getting good at pronounciations but lezbihonest – no way am I even close. Then, I came home and wrote this blog entry and got ready to hit the town.

No comments:

Post a Comment