Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Hoorah Hoorah - Ping Pong and Swing Dancing for a Yiddishkeit Birthday

While others were hellbent on having a beer, and some on a more serious pregame, I was fixed on a cakegame – this would be when you prepare for an event with a prelude of cake. Eight of us sat at an outdoor table clouded with locals blowing smoke, but delighted that the menu was in English and the staff spoke English. When I asked the staff if we could have a table, a server said to me, “Sit down there. We will come.” I think the cross between his height, the language barrier and Euroservice attitude really was classic. Really, every other server was just lovely and dealt with special requests and questions with grace. I had a Zwetschgenkuchen – plum cake, and while it was delish, regret not getting the apfelstruedel, which was better.

After the kuchenstravaganza, I was ready to plotz, but I ran into the pregame crew who was ready to go hard and definitely not home. Since they were celebrating a friend’s birthday, and staying local, I felt compelled to go. So, I rallied on the walk to a ‘Gypsy Club.’ This term is derogatory and irrelevant. We stepped across a courtyard and into a slim hallway toward muffled music, passed a chalkboard labeled ‘swing.’ Yes, guys and gals, put in your banana curlers and roll up those bobby socks: hardcore swing dancing. In era attire. In partners. With skill. As we epically failed to fit in (not sure we even tried), our hodgepodge crew bar-mitzvah danced like we’d never see these folks again. We probably won’t. While no Great Gatsby soundtrack came on, the DJ pumped songs with familiar melodies and lyrics appropriated by modern-day rappers like Kanye West and Lil Wayne (think GoldDigger, Get Low…). After a while, the lack of familiar tunes and moves had us on a mission for a more fitting scene.

On every corner, our friend who spoke the most German attempted to ask for directions, and while we never got lost looking for some bar called Kaffee Burger, it turned out to be quite a hike. And with every step, my toe that had been run over by a shopping cart stung a bit. But we had a good walking crew and great sights. Eventually, after finding Kaffee Burger and seeing that it was not at all what we dreamed of (read: no DJ, closing in 10 minutes, cover charge), we went down the street to check out a suspected gay bar.

As we debated whether or not it was a gay bar, I noticed some girls in lawn chairs outside mocking us for our suspicions. In fact, the bar was an international hipster ping pong joint. Almost everyone had a paddle and was rotating in a circle around a ping pong table, losing the game if they missed on their turn at either side of the table. The match became heated quite quickly and I retired to the foosball area, where I was coerced into a losing game. I did score a goal, and it was one of my greater life accomplishments because I am horrific at foosball in general. My partner and I high-fived four times, but I have no idea what his name was.

Eyes grew tired, and so did legs, and I decided to head home. Before leaving, I mocked birthday boy Daneel for conversing with Valencian Hugo in Spanish because, as a pelirojo, he can't really be a hispanohablante, and then I asked an Australian girl lots of questions about living and working in Berlin (apparently, it’s cheap and easy but the Australian quality of life is also excellent, she says). On the way back to our hotel, we shared in a round of the Yiddish Birthday Song (Hoorah Hoorah Oo Vinschtindeer….).


I would say the night is in the category of strange, memorable, and reasons why I so love travel.

No comments:

Post a Comment