Sunday, April 7, 2013

Primos

On Thursday, I met the cousins. Sara, 9 and Yael, 6 probably couldn't have been less interested in (or maybe plain terrified of) talking to me. Now, Sunday, we're holding hands, frolicking down a mountain.

What changed? I still don't really know, but I'm superhappy to keep making new friends here, even if they are in elementary school and most of our conversations have to do with favorite colors and ice cream flavors. That's what my first Spanish textbook prepped me well for, anyway.

On Saturday night, Hannah, Debi and I went out for dinner with the cousins at Mirador del Alto, one of the premiere social destinations in Chile. It's a mall because, well, everything here is a mall. We were generously treated by their parents to an Italian feast at a restaurant called Caprese. Everything was delicious and most of all, I felt really glad to have plans on my first Saturday night here, even if they were family plans. Family plans are the best kinds of plans. 

In the morning, we continued to have family time, joining with the cousins to go to San Cristobal, the equivalent of Central Park. I kind of knew that San Cristobal was a hill and this would be some sort of athletic endeavor involving great views, but I didn't think into it. Four kilometers later and still not at the top, I understood that hill means mountain and we were on a hike. This park involves palm trees, playgrounds, bike paths, and live zumba salsa classes. As I zigzagged my way up, I saw Santiago from new angles at each turn. I also was seen from new angles because Sandy photoshot me from the top of the mountain all the way to the bottom and emailed my mom pictures, effectively live-tweeting the experience. I'll have her email me them and post - I can guarantee some ridiculousness occurred and was captured. But, you can't really capture what skyscrapers framed by the Andes looks like. Everything looks painted, like a backdrop that you could pull the cloth down and it would disappear. 

On the way down, we took the more rugged and vertical dirt path, resulting in a descent that took about a quarter of the time of our ascent. A happy, but motley and sometimes complainey crew of 10, we got in the way of several bikers but barely noticed. By the bottom, my fingers were sticky with mandarin juice and the blister on the back of my ankle burned. 

The afternoon brought desired respite, aka leisurely terrace lunch of fishes and salads galore, and three hours of quality poolside sunshine. Sometimes I think life here is like Florida but more exotic. 

Many things occurred between 5 and 8 p.m., which I shall detail elsewhere. In essence, I went to three malls and had coffee at a Starbucks with a new friend who is great.

At 8 p.m., I was back home and delighted by the company of more family, Karen's absolutely lovely parents. They greeted me as if I were their own grandchild - I know because I was sitting next to their actual granddaughters. Furthermore, they were just thrilled that I can sort of speak Spanish, and in turn, I was thrilled that they understood me. All around thrilled, we had a delicious dinner of customizable omelettes - I opted for mushrooms, cheese, asparagus and tomato, in case you're really so curious, and now, potentially making a grocery list for your next meal. I would highly recommend this ingredient blend, and this amount of familial love on a regular basis.

And, I would highly recommend moving to Chile.

1 comment:

  1. Now I know what to make for dinner next time you are over ;)

    ReplyDelete