Thursday, September 5, 2013

Leopard Prints and Socks and Clogs and Chags

Based on the week’s teachings, I was not feeling super-duper-excited to celebrate Rosh Hashana. Sure, the idea of apples and honey and matzah ball soup is always thrilling, but there’s a lot more philosophy to grapple with that comes with that. I was struggling with having the attention to prayer and the point of the holiday. Over the few days of classes, I had more enjoyed the intellectual aspect of the learning, even distracted during the meditation and spirituality lessons because I was too focused on the literary and philosophical analysis of the texts. I went to Pardes’ learners’ service for the first day, looking for a change of pace and hoping to derive more meaning from the day even if I wouldn’t be in a traditional 300-page liturgical service. While I did not find the meaning I was seeking, I found some really good babka, and a girl named Livia gave me a nice hug, and described how she was at a troubling, lost time in her life, so I felt really grateful and peaceful. I leafed through some more pages of a book about Jewish Law’s applications but the author failed to include a foreword about why following Jewish Law is compelling to so many people, so I was bored by the book quickly, not seeing a point to so much specification and discussion. I returned home with a book on the rationale and applications of the Jewish Renewal movement, thinking this highly spiritual movement would be a refreshing change. 

I invited Alisa over for lunch, and made up a mini-shmorgasbord of turkey sandwiches on challah rolls, couscous and borekas, in an effort to incorporate as many carbohydrate forms to one meal as possible. Alisa, a former financial analyst a year ahead of me, is in the month-long study program with me before she goes to a social entrepreneurial fellowship for six months in the north of Israel. I remember we talked about finding meaningful work and transportation mishaps and wigs, and we had a grand old time.

I had lounged about for a significant amount of time and then realized I had to hurry and get ready for my dinner – an hour walk away. This walk, up trendy Derech Beit Lechem through Baka, across the quiet Rakevet park, toward the Paamon gardens. As I was walking up Keren HaYesod, I decided to take a tiny extra hike through the gardens, enchanted by cactuses bigger than me and shiny sculptures, with fountain plazas where children played and parents prayed. I remembered leading services with someone who had never led before, back in 2008 on my Pilgrimage trip, my first Shabbat in Jerusalem. I had forgotten where the spot was, or that the service had happened but places come flocking back to memory quickly. I saw the golden glow of the Old City walls reflecting the afternoon sun, the same as it had 5 years and a few weeks earlier.

I continued up (you’re ALWAYS walking up when you’re in Jerusalem. Even when you’re going downhill, it’s only to go back up.) and pit-stopped in the Fuchsberg Center for Conservative Judaism, looking for a little more familiarity and comfort (and a bathroom). I ended up finding that in the arms of Maya Dolgin, who was there with her brother and these two other guys. I knew three out of the four, and it was really nice to see some familiar faces after half of my long, hot walk. I met the last of the four, a guy from Chicago, so I felt like I kind of knew him already. I continued my walk in the best spirits I’d been in all day, excited to find my friend Mitzi at our 7 p.m. meeting point.

Mitzi had invited me to one of her Rabbi’s houses, a mentor of hers who runs the Nishmat seminary’s year-long post-high school program. I know a handful of girls who have studied there and they are all kind, smart, well-rounded, open-minded people – Nishmat must be an amazing place. The rabbi lives in Nachlaot, Jerusalem’s most quintessentially Jerusalem neighborhood: windy paths, nameless streets, hanging gardens and so many pregnant religious women with beautiful scarves. Mitzi and I went to evening services at Kol Rina, a Carlebach-singing style service in a bomb shelter. Three Israeli women wearing a combination of leopard print and plastic platform stripper heels made me appreciate the diversity of Jewish people in Israel and the holiday that could bring such shoes into a synagogue. Still, I disagree with their fashion choices but I can focus on giving them an A for bringing out what they considered to be their best styles. 

Dinner was held in a square room with a basic vaulted gothic ceiling. This architecture had the effect that on one side of the room, you could perfectly hear the conversation at the other end of our 27-person table. Acoustics can be crazy. While not freaked out by hearing each far-away word about making aliyah from a girl from Oregon wearing clogs with socks, I enjoyed all twenty different symbolic foods, each blessed with a special play on words wishing us an enemy-free year of health and success. I was overwhelmed by the seven children singing songs, particularly the young boy next to me who kept wishing me a fruitful life of many children. This blessing comes with a tradition of eating a fish head, which he delighted greatly in. By the soup course, the boy was conked out on the couch. I was slurping up matzah balls and listening to a young yeshivish couple who had met at the table a few years earlier when independently exploring religion ask a hippy-dippy also observant older couple why they were choosing to home-school their son. It takes all kinds to make the world go round. By the main course, I was already stuffed from the abundance of new fruits, symbolic vegetables, huge matzah balls and sizeable chunks of the two enormous 2-kilo challahs smothered in honey.

We all went around introducing ourselves and saying our favorite thing about the Holidays in Jerusalem. I explained that I had come to Israel, with just excitement thinking I would find clear validation for every part of my identity and chosen path. Two weeks in, I have experienced more mental duress and emotional confusion than I have felt in the last eight months of nomadship. This place and it’s people force you into a constant state of questioning, but from that comes the potential for a remarkable path of self-discovery, evolution and betterment. And for that, I am extremely grateful. It’s better to grow and change than simply validate what you already think you know. Next thing I knew, I was explaining to a girl on the couch why I wasn’t planning to become more religiously observant or stay in Israel to study (I have three specific reasons, feel free to ask). Then, I talked with an Asian woman about her forearm tattoo of a Scottish mythical creature. The night ended with some good gooey chocolate cookies and the rabbi’s wife sending me and Mitzi off with water bottles for our long walks home. It was again, close to one a.m.

On my walk home, I was lonely, so I befriended some seminary girls, a flock of them from Passaic, New Jersey, who were a little confused by what and who I was. I’m sometimes confused about it too, but I’m not sure they’d really met any practicing Jews who hadn’t been to day school growing up.
Most of my walk was silent, dark and alone – but not as lonely. I think the break from chatting and noise and people and food was much needed. I ran into my friend Sara from Pardes right outside my apartment, and I couldn’t wait to divulge all of the crazy characters who had punctuated my evening.

And it hit me that the holiday weekend was only halfway through.

No comments:

Post a Comment